This hearty, Instant Pot Sweet Potato Pumpkin Chili is the perfect one-pot meal that is ready in a flash. I love making this meal because there is minimal clean up and it makes enough to feed a crowd or leftovers for the week. The amount of meat and veggies make this a very hearty chili, even though it’s completely legume-free! Also, the addition of the pumpkin puree makes it super creamy and filling, without feeling too full.
A few tips.
Do something nice for your future self.
Want to come home and just throw dinner on? You can! To make it even simpler, dice all of your veggies ahead of time and leave them in the refrigerator. When you come home from work or running errands, all you have to do is start your Instant Pot and literally toss everything in. Take it from me, your future self will thank you for taking a few extra minutes to complete all the prep work.
Use whatever ground meat you prefer.
This should go without saying, but you know how I feel about recipes. They are guidelines and do not need to be followed word for word. If you don’t like pork, use extra ground beef instead. Want to try this recipe with mild pork sausage? Do it! Thinking about going meatless and want to add extra veggies? NO! (ok, just kidding) Go for it!
Do not skimp on the garnish.
One of my favorite things about this pumpkin chili is the addition of fresh ingredients at the end. I love adding fresh avocado, diced red onion, parsley or cilantro and a dash of hot sauce. It’s also such a fun way for people to customize their bowl of chili by adding their favorite garnishes.
Hearty Sweet Potato Pumpkin Chili
- Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage
- 1 yellow onion large
- 2 cups sweet potato
- 2 bell peppers I used red and green
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 43 ounces canned diced tomatoes (1 large & 1 small can)
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parsley, avocado, red onion, hot sauce for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Add avocado oil.
- Add ground beef and pork to Instant Pot and chop into small pieces. Once meat starts to brown, add diced onions. Sauté until onions become translucent. Add all spices to the pot and heat through. Dice bell peppers and sweet potato.
- When the spices become fragrant, add bell peppers, sweet potato, pumpkin purée, diced tomatoes, bone broth and coconut aminos. Stir well.
- Close lid and set to seal. Pressure cook 40 minutes on high and manually release pressure when finished. Sweet potatoes should be cooked through. If not, cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir well.
- Garnish with diced red onion, avocado and minced parsley. Drizzle hot sauce for some additional heat.
If you’re looking for additional one-pot meals, specifically using the Instant Pot, check out my Instant Pot Split Pea Soup!
Hope you try making this recipe for yourself and when you do, tag me on Instagram @apinchofpride, so I can say hello and see what else you’re making!