If you’ve been searching for the perfect Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry Recipe to Check in 2023, then this is for you! This Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry Recipe is quick and easy to make, packed with flavor, and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Plus, it’s vegan friendly! So pull out your pots and pans and let’s get cooking!
Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry Recipe to Check in 2023
When it comes to Indian cuisine, there are a few dishes that are truly iconic. One of these is the Indian yellow split pea curry, also known as dal. This dish is typically made with a base of yellow split peas, which are simmered in water until they’re soft and then cooked with a variety of spices, including turmeric, cumin, and chili powder. The result is a rich and flavorful curry that’s perfect for serving over rice or with naan bread.
This particular recipe for Indian yellow split pea curry is fairly straightforward and easy to make. It starts with a base of onion, garlic, and ginger, which are cooked until softened. Then, the yellow split peas are added in along with some water and allowed to simmer until tender. From there, the spices are added in and the whole thing is simmered for just a few more minutes before being ready to serve.
Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by heating the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for a further minute.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder and fry for a further minute.
- Add the split peas and fry for a minute to coat in the spices.
- Pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk or cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until heated through
Variations of the Split Pea Curry
There are many variations of the curry, but the most common are:
1. Traditional Indian yellow split pea curry – This is the most common type of curry and is made with yellow split peas, tomatoes, onions, and spices. It is usually served with rice or bread.
2. Thai green curry – This curry is made with greenSplit peas instead of yellow ones and usually has a more coconut milk-based sauce. It often includes vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers.
4. Malaysian curry – Malaysian curries tend to be very spicy and often include fish or shrimp as well as chicken or beef. They are usually served over rice or noodles.
Tips and Tricks for Making Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry
When it comes to making a delicious Indian yellow split pea curry, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you get the best results. First, be sure to soak your split peas overnight in water before cooking them. This will help them cook more evenly and prevent them from becoming mushy.
Next, it’s important to fry the spices in oil before adding thesplit peas. This allows the spices to release their flavor and aroma, making for a more flavorful curry. Finally, be sure to simmer the curry on low heat for at least an hour to allow all the flavors to meld together.
If you’ve been looking for a delicious and easy-to-make Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry recipe, look no further. This dish is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables with flavor and texture that will make your taste buds happy. With its mild heat, Indian Yellow Split Pea Curry Recipe to Check in 2023 is sure to be an absolute hit during mealtime. Give it a try this year and let us know how much you love it!