With the new year right around the corner, now is the perfect time to start thinking about your health and wellness goals. If you’re looking for a way to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor, look no further than this delicious Kale Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing To Check In 2023! Here we’ll break down why this meal is sure to be a star in your weekly menu rotation — from its nutrition benefits to its ease of preparation.
Kale Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
- Kale Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing calls for kale carrots, toasted sesame seeds, olive oil, honey, ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl or glass jar, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients: olive oil, rice vinegar, honey, grated ginger, garlic cloves, and salt.
- Set aside a few tablespoons of the dressing to use as a final drizzle later on.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with the remaining dressing until it's evenly coated and starting to soften (this will take about 1-2 minutes).
- Let the kale sit while you prep the other salad ingredients.
- Toasted sesame seeds: In a dry skillet over medium heat, add the sesame seeds and toast until they're lightly browned and fragrant (stirring often so they don't burn). This should only take a minute or two. Set them aside to cool.
- Cucumber: thinly slice one cucumber or cut into small pieces.
- Carrots: shred or julienne 2-3 carrots (I used a julienne peeler). If you don't have one of these, you can use a regular vegetable peeler to make long thin strips, or just chop them into small pieces.
- Red pepper: finely chop 1/ 4 red pepper.
- Onion: finely chop 1/4 onion.
- Add the cucumber, carrots, red pepper, and onion to the bowl with the kale.
Benefits of Eating Kale for Health and Weight Loss
Kale is a nutrient-dense superfood that offers many health benefits. It is especially beneficial for weight loss due to its high fiber content and low calorie density.
Fiber helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied, while low calorie density means that you can eat a lot of kale without consuming too many calories.
Kale is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium and iron. These nutrients are essential for maintaining a healthy body weight.
Additional Optional Ingredients for the Recipe
There are a few additional optional ingredients you can add to this recipe if you’d like:
– 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
– 1 small shredded carrot
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
– 1/4 cup raisins
– 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
If you’re looking for a bit more protein in your salad, cooked quinoa is a great option. It also adds a nice texture contrast.
Tips and Tricks For Making Kale Salad
1. Start with massaged kale: Kale is a tough green, and can be really hard to chew (and even harder to stomach) if it’s not properly prepped. To make sure your salad is as palatable as possible, start by massaging the kale with a little bit of olive oil. This will help to break down the kale’s tough structure, making it more tender and easier to eat.
2. Add some acid: Another way to help soften kale is to add a bit of acidity to the mix. A simple squeeze of lemon juice or splash of vinegar can do the trick. Not only will this make the kale more palatable, but it will also help to brighten up the flavors of the salad as a whole.
3. Balance out the flavors: As with any dish, it’s important to balance out the flavors in a kale salad. Be sure to include some sweetness (dried fruit or fresh apple are good options), savoriness (crumbled bacon or shaved Parmesan), and crunch (nuts or seeds). By adding a variety of flavors, you’ll create a much more well-rounded and enjoyable salad.
4. Let it sit: After you’ve assembled your salad, let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will give the dressing time to penetrate the kale leaves, infusing them with flavor and making them even more pleasant to eat.
Nutritional Value of Kale Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
Just one cup of kale provides over 100% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, and nearly 10% of the recommended daily intake of calcium. It’s also a good source of fiber, iron, and potassium.
When it comes to salads, kale is definitely one of the healthiest options you can choose. But this kale salad is extra healthy thanks to the addition of carrots and ginger in the dressing.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that helps keep your eyes healthy. They’re also a good source of fiber and Vitamin C. Ginger has numerous health benefits as well, including helping to reduce inflammation and promoting digestive health.
Combined, these ingredients make for a salad that’s not only nutritious but also delicious! The next time you’re looking for a healthy lunch or dinner option, give this kale salad with carrot ginger dressing a try.
We hope you enjoyed learning about this delicious kale salad with carrot ginger dressing. It’s a quick and easy meal that is full of flavor, plus it’s packed with vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy! We look forward to seeing what creative spins people come up with in 2023 as the popularity of this dish continues to grow. In the meantime, make sure to try out Kale Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing To Check In 2023.