I love potato salad and think it’s great for so many different occasions, but what I didn’t necessarily love was the amount of mayo I was consuming when I ate it. This recipe changed all of that and I can say it’s the best potato salad recipe I’ve ever had. The last time I made this, it sat on the counter and we were literally taking a spoonful each time we walked by the kitchen – it’s that good.
I featured this recipe on my last Whole30 Recipes takeover and so many of you raved about it. I was surprised by the amount of people that were appreciative of a mayo-free potato salad. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with mayo in a potato salad, but sometimes the flavor is bland and it overpowers the star ingredient of this recipe – the potatoes!
The amount of herbs to use is really completely up to you. Don’t like dill? Don’t use it. Use cilantro instead of parsley, you do you. I would say, don’t skip out on the garlic – that combined with the olive oil and red wine vinegar is fantastic. Additionally, if you wanted to play this recipe up a bit, try adding some Oomph Cooking Blends. Check out my Instant Pot Split Pea Soup recipe for more information about Oomph. Also, don’t worry if you can’t finish it in one sitting. It’s just as good the next day right out of the refrigerator – again, making it the best potato salad recipe.
Herby Potato Salad
- 3 pounds baby gold and/or red potatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup herbs chopped (parsley,dill, scallion and chives) any variation/amount desired
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously salt water. Slice potatoes in half and add to boiling water. Cook until fork tender and remove from water. Set aside and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat pan on medium-high heat and crisp bacon. Set on paper towel to absorb excess oil and chop until fine.
- Mince garlic cloves, parsley, dill, scallions and chives and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and all herbs. Stir gently. Add cooked potatoes to oil and herb mixture and fold until potatoes are coated. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm or even cold the next day.
Hope you try making this recipe for yourself and when you do, tag me on Instagram @apinchofpride, so I can say hello and see what else you’re making!